We are looking for an Engineering Manager to build and lead the team responsible for building the new generation AI/ML platform at Udemy. The current platform is composed of batch (e.g., feature and machine learning pipelines), streaming (i.e., feature computation in real-time), and online (i.e., microservices to serve previously computed results, execution of ML models in real-time) components. And this platform is actively used by multiple teams to empower different parts of the product and various internal operations.
The team will be responsible for both the production and development environments for the new generation AI/ML platform. The scope also contains supporting and training the individuals and the teams as needed. Success in this role will require a combination of strong people management skills, technical excellence, a product-minded approach for the platform’s development, data-informed decision making for operating the platform, and outstanding stakeholder relations.
- Recruit, hire, and retain a fantastic team of high caliber engineers with diverse skill sets
- Provide hands-on technical guidance and career mentorship for team members
- Partner with the teams, data scientists, machine learning engineers, and software engineers to define Udemy’s new generation AI/ML platform
- Execute the development of the new generation platform
- Operate a robust, scalable, and a highly available platform with SLO/SLAs
- Advocate for technical quality, effective team processes, and engineering best practices
- Experience in engineering management and team building
- Ability to communicate effectively with stakeholders from diverse backgrounds
- Solid software engineering skills and proficiency with object-oriented or functional programming languages, such as Python, Scala, Java, etc.
- Experience with standard software engineering practices
- Experience using big data technologies
Preferred but not required
- Experience in backend development
- Experience with ML
We believe anyone can build the life they imagine through online learning. Today, more than 40 million students around the world are advancing their careers and passions by exploring and mastering new skills on Udemy, and expert instructors are able to share their knowledge with the world. Through our global marketplace and our solutions for businesses and governments, we connect people everywhere with the skills they need for success in work and life. We’re a close-knit bunch that enjoys problem-solving and collaboration, and we share a serious belief in the power of learning and teaching to change lives. Udemy’s culture encourages innovation, creativity, passion, and teamwork. We also celebrate our milestones and support each other every day.
Founded in 2010, Udemy is privately owned and headquartered in San Francisco’s SOMA neighborhood with offices in Denver (Colorado), Dublin (Ireland), Ankara (Turkey), Gurugram (India), and São Paulo (Brazil).
Udemy in the News